Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Last Day Of Bear Camp

The title is sung to the tune of Second Week of Deer Camp, for what it's worth. Anyway, on to the news. Thomas Jones is back on the field practicing, although he's unlikely to play Friday. For some strange reason I find myself rooting for Cedric Benson in the battle of the backs. Maybe it's because I hate it when veterans pick on younger players. You're all professionals, not grade schoolers. Regardless, there is no way to paint Jones' return as anything but a huge positive for the offense.

Meanwhile, I'm not sure what to make of this story about Tommie Harris. If he's found his passion and is ready to play, then great. I'm not sure how a 3rd year pro coming off a great season loses his passion in the first place. Harris said he was afraid to fail before. I've always believed that what makes great athletes great is that they hate to fail. They're not motivated by a fear of failure, which can cause you to hold back. They're not motivated by a love of winning, which strikes me as soft and lazy. Rather, they're motivated by a hatred of failure. Anyway, I'm probably full of shit on this, so ignore me, but I hope Harris is no longer afraid to fail, but learns to hate failure so much that he'll do whatever it takes to overcome it.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Putting "I'm probably full of shit on this, so ignore me" up front would save me some effort, please think about that next time.

Of course, having known you for 20 years, I already know that you are full of shit and should be ignored - so I guess it is really my fault in the first place.

7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What the heck is "Second Week of Dear Camp?" Is that a song from Jews-For-Jesus camp?

7:34 PM  
Blogger Criminal Appeal said...

Dude, you've so clearly never lived in mid-Michigan. Wait, come to think of it, I wish I hadn't either.

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home