Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Go Team

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no! Nor was it over when the Sox went to the ninth against Mariano Rivera trailing by a run. Rivera, who apparently struggles against teams with the word "Sox" in their names, coughed up a game tying homer to Paulie, and I, for one, was feeling pretty good. Actually, I felt pretty good for most of the extra inning affair, even when Scott Proctor was doing his Cy Young impression. Ironically, and this is why I spend most Sox games doing a Leo Mazzone impression on my couch, I lost faith entirely in the 11th. I loved Iguchi's huge clutch hit. There is nothing more clutch than getting on as the lead off man late in a game. I loved Thome drawing the walk and moving Iguchi into scoring position with no outs. At that point I figured one of the next three guys was bound to come through. But after Konerko flew out, I realized that Alomar, not Pierzynski, would follow Dye, and I became convinced that Dye was about to bounce into an inning ending double play. Fortunately, Dye had a really futile and stupid gesture planned -- just to continue with a theme -- and we could all go home happy. Well, stay home happy in this case, since my season ticket plan only includes Saturday and Sunday games. In any case, it's hard not to feel optimistic on a day like today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home