Friday, June 15, 2007

Random Musings

It's a slow day. The White Sox didn't play yesterday, so they couldn't lose. We're too far from the NBA draft or NFL training camps to say much about that. The NBA Finals themselves were uninspiring, and have been a foregone conclusion for weeks. But I do have a couple of random thoughts to share, while we're gathered here.

First, I can't stop the Mike and Mike juggernaut, not that I thought I could. They were still going on this morning about how they had once again added a word to the sports vernacular. As I discussed yesterday, there is nothing new about the word ridonculous, or its use in a sports context. I have to imagine thousands of listeners have e-mailed this fact to Mike and Mike. And, yet, they ignore this fact and continue with their self-aggrandizement. Actually, the two of them are becoming increasingly self-aggrandizing, a fact which they hide by pretending to be self-deprecating. It's irksome and pathetic. So, if you think of it, take a moment to drop the two of them a line and let them know we're on to them, at least as far as ridonculous goes.

Also, there was a great article about how the White Sox can be competitive again by next season at Baseball Prospectus. BP is a subscription site, but articles like this make it worth it. Suffice to say none of Tadahito Iguchi, Jermaine Dye, Mark Buehrle, Darrin Erstad or Juan Uribe are part of the picture. Joe Crede and Josh Fields both are, as well as Luis Castillo, Chad Billingsley, Brent Lillibridge, and some Japanese slugger. It's good stuff.

I figured I would round this column out with a smattering of interesting columns and articles from my Chicago blogging brethren. And there are some good ones out there. But we're all writing the same depressing things about how bad the Sox are. I do like Life in the Cell's zombie photo though. You can check out all of their stuff by clicking on the links to the right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home